Dogs are big foodies by nature and they will always enjoy and savor their daily treats and chew bones. Most dogs love variety in their diet, and what a lot of people don’t know if that dogs can eat and LOVE certain veggies and fruits. If you haven’t already, considered treating your pup with some healthy plant-based treats, biscuits and breath bones.
What makes fruit and veggie-based treats a healthy choice for your dog?
1. Natural source of nutrients
Just as for humans, vegetables and fruits are healthy and highly absorbable sources of vitamins, minerals and essential oils. Most fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamin C, which is a strong booster for the immune system, promotes healthy growth, and quick healing processes. Vitamin B complex is also highly available in fruits and vegetables and their most important benefits include a balanced metabolism and healthy brain and heart function. Also, seeds and nuts in doggie treats are a good source of essential fatty acids.
2. Low in calories
As compared to meat, that may have a higher content of fat, and thus a higher caloric content, vegetables and fruits have a lower energetic load. This means that your pup can enjoy treats and doggie bones without reducing too much the amount of food that they received each day. High-calorie treats and breath bones increase the risk for obesity and diseases that come with it, such as diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, just to name a few.
3. Fresh breath
Doggie breath bones are a good way of keeping your pup’s teeth clean and free of tartar, especially if offered after wet food meals. Leafy greens and essential oils contain a series of compounds that naturally prevent bacterial plaque formation. These natural nutrients provided in treats and chew bones will help your pup maintain a fresh breath and healthy, strong teeth.
If you are looking for an easy way to move towards a healthier plant-based diet, you’re in luck! We offer a monthly pack of 100% fruit and vegetable based treats.
Here is what our plant-based treats and doggie bones contain:
- Peanut butter – Dogs LOVE peanut butter. Not only do they love it so much, but it also provides plenty of healthy benefits. Peanut butter is an important source of essential fatty acids that the body cannot synthesize on its own and thus must come from a complete diet. Peanuts are rich in Omega-3, a type of fat that supports a healthy heart function and prevent irregular heart rhythm. They also contain Omega-6, which regulate inflammatory reactions and sustain healthy skin and shiny hair coat. Both Omega 3 and 6 provide joint support and alleviate inflammation and pain in dogs suffering from arthritis.
- Sweet potato – These vegetables are some of the best sources of beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A through the digestive processes. Vitamin A sustains your pup’s eye health, supports strong and healthy bones in growing puppies, makes the skin and hair coat look better and also helps the immune system fight various forms of cancer. Sweet potatoes are rich in calcium, iron and potassium as well. Moreover, the high fiber content in sweet potatoes sustains a proper digestion, promotes a healthy metabolism, regulates cholesterol and glucose levels. Your pup will definitely love the great taste of treats containing sweet potatoes.
- Coconut oil – The benefits of coconut oil are very variated and touch almost all body systems. Coconut oil is a good source of healthy and highly digestible fats that can be used as energy sources. Coconut oil offers support for dogs suffering from any form of arthritis or other joint diseases as it has a natural anti-inflammatory effect. Also, it contains high amounts of lauric acid, which has a potent antibacterial effect. Lauric acid was scientifically proven to dissolve bacterial plaque, prevent gingivitis and tartar formation. Thus, treats and chew bones are not only healthy but also very flavorful and dogs love them.
- Blueberries – These small but very healthy fruits are an important source of vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin B6 and copper. Blueberries are rich in resveratrol, which is a strong fighter against different forms of cancer. Resveratrol is also found in high amounts in grapes. However, do not give grapes to your dog as they are highly toxic and attack kidneys. Your pup will be very happy with the sweet taste of these fruits, either offered as such or doggie bones and biscuits containing blueberries.
- Cinnamon – While your dog might not be thrilled with cinnamon added directly into food, he or she will definitely love it when integrated into a delicious biscuit or bone. This tasty spice is one of the best natural ingredients known to lower blood pressure and prevent circulatory and heart diseases. Also, cinnamon has a natural anti-inflammatory effect that can be very beneficial for dogs with muscle and joint disease. Senior dogs can benefit significantly from cinnamon as it improves memory and mental health. If provided in chew-bones, it can also improve breath.
- Leafy greens – Parsley, kale, chard, spinach and even lettuce, are often included in doggie snacks. These greens are an amazing source of vitamin k, which is essential to prevent bleeding disorders, and iron, which vital for tissue oxygenation. Green leaves based treats and chew bones are healthy and also guarantee fresh kisses and from your doggie.
Are you convinced yet? There is no better way of showing your love to your dog than to offer a healthy and delicious treat. Not only that you will see how happy he or she is when offered a tasty biscuit, but you will also see important improvements in the general health and well-being.